I was in Milwaukee for the last couple of days. It was surprising. When I think of Milwaukee i think:
4. The Brewers
I was shocked that though those things are all staples of Milwaukee living there was far more that it had to offer. Firstly, it is a beautiful city. It is right on Lake Michigan and has beautiful lake front parks and beaches. (I know this because I was early for a client meeting and there was one of these parks about a half mile away from their office. I sat in this amazing park/marina for about a half hour looking out over the lake) The downtown area is quite aesthetically pleasing as well. Lots of late 19th century architecture sprinkled in with the obligatory skyscrapers.
Highlights from Milwaukee:
1. The people there are very pleasant. Just courteous, helpful people.
2. Milwaukeeians ( I just made that up) are NOT as heavy (I’m trying to stop calling people fat) as I thought. As a matter of fact, I was impressed with the number of fit and athletic people there were in the town. Lots of runners. Bikers. People out on the water. It was a far cry from what I had anticipated.
3. The weather was probably as good as it gets. Anywhere. Now mind you, I strategically placed my client meetings in Milwaukee in June for a reason. The winters there are nothing short of arctic. However, I will say that they certainly take advantage of their summer (short as it may be)
4. I did not eat any sausage or drink any beer.
5. I really wanted to drink beer
6. I ate at Ryan Braun’s Riverfront restaurant (Ryan Braun plays for the Milwaukee Brewers). It was amazing. Sat right on the river and watched boats go past. The food was delicious. I’m not sure who hired the waitresses, but whomever it was did a fantastic job. The meal came with a ton of vegetables (a big plus for me these days). I even got to see a draw bridge open up.
7. Just about everyone I spoke to said that they loved the city, but needed to get out. I could imagine that with every passing winter there is more and more a need to move. Anywhere else. As much for a change of pace as anything else.
8. Both of my client meetings went phenomenally well. Very intelligent people who care greatly about their employees. (admittedly, I had no idea what to expect from either client. The only contact I have with them is via phone and their thick Wisconsin accents do sounds quite provincial)
9. The flights to and from Milwaukee were pretty bumpy. I am a wimp when it comes to the airplane bouncing around. I get scared. Little girl scared. I pee a little scared. I pray to a God I’m not sure exists scared.
10. One of the flight attendants on my return flight was “flight attendant from 1962” hot.
I enjoy traveling for work. It is comfortable for me. I like the lack of supervision. I like the freedom. I like my clients. I like not being tied down to a desk.