Something is significantly wrong with me today – I was up before 5:30 am and I was at work at 6:31 am. For those of you who don’t know me…..that isn’t exactly normal. You see, I like my sleep. Sleeping is a true passion of mine. I’m good at it. I excel at sleeping. I give sleeping my all. So when I woke up at 5 am and could not fall back asleep I took that as a sign from “Whoever you are up there” that maybe today (and only today) I was going to be a morning person.
Some thoughts from my morning –
1. Coffee….I think you are great. A real friend.
2. Shaving, for whatever reason, hurts more the earlier you do it.
3. The streets look empty at 6 am, but then you realize that there are plenty of people out, just not the hordes that you are used to seeing. Put the number of people in NYC out in any other city in this country and it would look busy.
4. A lot of people are working at 6 am, be it doormen, coffee shops employees, office building staff, fruit cart guys……..you name it. It takes a lot to get this place cleaned up and ready to go for a work day.
5. I took a minute to stand on the sidewalk on Park Ave. and look around. It is unbelievable that there are so many large buildings all around. Buildings that house and employ hundreds of thousands of people, yet none of these people make, actually physically create, anything. New York is a city of ideas, theories, data, law, fashion, investments, service……. I think that history will go on to show that places like New York will become obsolete in that without help from the outside world it can not sustain itself.
6. I stopped and looked in the window of the Ferrari shop. I can dream, can’t I?
7. It is very sad to see the homeless strewn about the streets. There were people sleeping on most every block I passed. One homeless man said, “Good morning” to me. As I walked by without acknowledging him, he shouted this time, “Hey you!!! Good Morning!!!!!” I felt like a jerk and I greeted him with a brief wave and a “Good morning.” He then promptly asked me for money and I wished that I had simply ignored him.
8. When the streets are quiet you can feel the subway as it passes beneath your feet. Usually, it is something you don’t notice. It is like mini-earthquake. A tad unsettling actually…..
9. I’m interested to see what time the first person gets into the office today. I usually get here at 9 (ish)….so I want to know if the boss’s really get in at 7:30 in the morning….
10. I don’t think I turned my alarm clock off at home. Oh well, it turns on to the radio and not an annoying buzzing sound so at least my neighbors won’t be annoyed.
Heading to Connecticut either tonight or tomorrow. Most likely tomorrow. My Mom throws her annual 4th of July party. Should be a fun time.
7:19, my boss just walked in….
I just said a small prayer to Jesus, Allah, The One Whose Name We Aren’t Supposed to Say, that Elephant with all the arms, Buddha, the Sun god, and rubbed the head of a good luck troll in hopes that my office lets out early today.
Cheers to long weekends.