The little things
It is the little things in life. Spending the last month with nothing more than a backpack made me come to a few conclusions:
1. I have never been able to appreciate how good it feels to use a full sized towel to dry my body. In Europe is was either using a hostel rented towel or this small dish towl sized thing I had.
2. Use of a clean kitchen. With my own utensils, coffee maker, and fridge.
3. Clean sheets…..that I know do not have bed bugs.
4. Clean clothes……Oh, clean clothes. Yes, yes……….clean clothes that do not smell bad.
5. Privacy. I am enjoying time alone reading my New Yorker.
6. Refills on coffee. No refills in Europe. That fuck is with that?
7. Not ever having to wait in line for a bathroom. Or for that matter not having to listen to French people sing in the shower next to me.
8. Real shampoo.
9. A selection of more than the four shirts I had packed.
10. Not having to start every conversation with “Do you speak English?”
11. Not having to do calculations to figure how much something costs. For example – withdrawing 10,000 of anything makes me nervous.
12. Not having to feel like I have to be “on” all the time as to meet people. That gets very draining.
13. Not feeling like I have to go out each night as not to miss anything.