I was interested in the Arizona SB 1070 – the immigration law that is getting a lot of attention due to the Supreme Court taking a look at the legislation. What I gather is that if you are an immigrant if you need to have documentation. If a police officer has a suspicion that a person who is being detained for a legal reason may not be a United States citizen he or she has the responsibility to ask for the documentation that they are REQUIRED to have. Soooo…..maybe I’m missing something here, but that sounds like a fairly reasonable thing. I would like to point out a few things here:
1. If you have been detained by the police you were probably doing something wrong in the first place.
2. Ummm….you probably shouldn’t be in this country illegally in the first place. Just saying. As for the idea of racial profiling………Ok, good point. It is, but at the same time I am going to assume that in Arizona there aren’t a whole lot of white or black illegal immigrants. Maybe there are some, but I have my doubts.
3. I get that immigrants contribute to the economy. I get that they can be hard working, tax paying citizens. I am certain that many of them are valuable members of their communities and that there are industries (construction and farming) where they do the jobs where many Americans are simply unwilling.
4. The unemployment rate is about 9.8%
5. I think that states should have the right to make their own decisions as it relates to immigration policies…..especially when it comes to border states. They live with the problem to a far greater extent than others. Their economies are taxed far more in terms of resources.
6. I would be interested to see what the stats are for crime amongst illegal immigrants vs. the population at large.
7. I think that this translates into a bigger problem that we have in the realm of immigration and that is the visas we give out. I think anyone from watch list countries should have to go through an interview process before obtaining a visa. On this list should be Saudi Arabia – where 15 of the 19 9/11 hijackers got their visas. So now that we aren’t spending so much money on occupying Iraq maybe we can hire some people to interview people who enter our country. Just an idea folks.