I am working again. Not in a huge office for a large corporation like I had been for the last six years. Nope, I’m doing something MUCH different. I’m working at a running store. A small place with four locations in NYC.
I did this for a few reasons
1. Writing is very lonely. I found myself spending hours and hours alone in front of a computer. Do I love to write? Yes. Do I want human interaction during the course of a day? Yes.
2. I want to be part of a culture that is motivated, fun, and athletic. These people are crazy motivated when it comes to running. I am hoping that starts to rub off on me.
3. Paychecks, it is nice to get them again. As Kenny Powers puts it, “Dollar, dollar bill ya’ll”
4. I am exposed to retail. A very new realm for me. You meet all types, but most people who come into the store are very friendly and appreciative that someone is there to help them.
5. I get discounts, which is good because I’m going to need a whole lot of running “stuff” to get ready for the NYC marathon.
Another bonus, I like going. I like the people. I like not being in a cubicle and being engaged with different people throughout the day.
Did I mention being the “largest” person who works there by about 40 pounds is very motivating? Cause it is. I ate broccoli last night. Just saying.