Lots of Musing
Time to start listing stuff –
- As a Red Sox fan I must say that it was exciting to play the Yankees. It was satisfying to watch them win 3 of 4 games. But I will say this – when it was the bottom of the 9th inning last night and the Yankees have the bases loaded, Craig Kimbrell hits a batter to walk a run in – I was teleported back to October 16th, 2003. It is the 8th inning and Pedro Martinez (the best pitcher of his era) is on fumes. Grady Little visits the mound and instead of putting in one of our dominant relief pitchers he leaves him in the game. The next thing I know the game is tied and yet once again my Red Sox fandom is rocked to its core. At the hands of Aaron fucking Boone they lose in the 11th inning on a knuckleball that just didn’t knuckle. So it was not lost on me that my 2018 Red Sox were on the verge of collapsing in the same stadium, to an Aaron Boone coached team. My insides felt like two cats in a bag, scratching and trying to escape. (The irony of this is that I do not get upset over sports losses any longer. I have trained myself to realize that it is only a game and that other than being able to let my Yankee fan friends know that they are no longer superior baseball fans in any way, shape, or form and that if they consider themselves such then they are living in the past because in the 18 years of THIS CENTURY it is Sox 3 – Yankees 2. But I digress) So as we all know, the game ends with a wild throw to first that takes nothing less than a spectacular play that ends up in review and eventually confirmed. What I am saying is that for the first time in my Red Sox fan life I don’t feel like the Yankees are the big brother to the Red Sox being the fiesty little brother that once in a while gets in a good shot. It is rather satisfying.
- I started playing Words with Friends again. Because it is 2009 and I like spelling.
- I am working a freelance gig at the moment. It is managing events and I rather enjoy it. Today I worked an event at a large company that gave me a gift bag as a thank you for helping organize. All I am saying is that I won’t need to purchase toothpaste for the next year and I have enough dog treats for the foreseeable future.
- Pretty sure I have become desensitized to the news. Hurricane’s. Anything the president does. Shootings. It is fucking crazy, but nothing shocks me. I’m not sure if that speaks more about me or more about the world in which we live, but it is mostly upsetting and sort of expected as we digest our news in 280 characters and it comes at us like a Chris Sale fastball.
- I’m writing a book about an angry polar bear. His ice float melted.
- The League is on Hulu and I cannot begin to describe how happy that makes me between the hours of 12 and 12:22 each night.
- Ratings for The Walking Dead season premiere were down over 40% on Sunday vs last season’s premiere. So you are telling me that people are sick of zombies trying to eat anything alive, a group of survivors who lose two of their pack per season, and the general decline of the human condition. Maybe people see enough horrible shit in the news/their twitter feed/walking down the street each day (the homeless problem here in NYC is reaching epic levels) that maybe The Walking Dead is no longer something people think of as being so fictional.
- Who else is ready for Game of Thrones to come back?
- I have thoughts on the Supreme Court, just not right now. They are plentiful. That’s for another post.
- I’m not sure what happened to me, but in the last month I have become near addicted to seltzer water. I had 16 bottles on Saturday and am down to 3 as of this evening. Nothing wrong with a little hydration, but I think I’m taking it to a new level.
- NYC Marathon is in a few weeks. Could not be happier not to be participating in an event. My plantar fascia wants revenge on mile 22 of that race, as does my IT band.
- I have been doing a lot of thinking about my dream job – and I have always known what it is. But only now coming to grips with it. To be Andy Rooney. Just comment on daily topics of little consequence, but that have entertaining qualities to them.
- I’m going to write daily from now on.